Over 100 Million People Are Suffering From Chronic Pain Today.
With a Foundation Training Certification, you can be part of the solution by teaching powerful, healing movements to yourself, your clients/patients and your community.
When we change the way we move we can significantly improve the way we live.
Foundation Training: A Powerful Solution
We all have the power to maintain health and vitality, even as our bodies are challenged by the compressive forces of our modern lifestyles.
During the Foundation Training Certification course, you’ll…
DISCOVER why efficient movement is an integral part of our health and how to effectively incorporate that knowledge into your life and work.
IMPROVE how you sit, stand and move so that you are able to finally address the root cause of many pains and ailments.
LEARN how to effectively teach these philosophies and movements to friends, family, patients, clients and your community.
What will I learn?
Understand the philosophy behind Foundation Training and our 3 founding principles:
- Decompression of the axial skeleton
- Anchoring at the hips
- Integration of the principles throughout your body and life
Learn how to apply these principles throughout each of the 17 movements and subsequent layers that make up our comprehensive exercise curriculum.
Become fluent in the language of Foundation Training as you practice teaching the exercises using the cues and techniques we have identified to be the simplest and most effective way to create optimal outcomes with your students.
Understand the how and why behind the effectiveness of Foundation Training through Dr. Goodman’s unique and simple approach to Anatomy and Physiology.
Get hands-on support from the world’s most highly trained team of Foundation Training Core Educators. You’ll hear from them in the large group setting and work more intimately in small groups.
Network and learn from others in the dynamic group of like-minded professionals from varying backgrounds and locations.
5 Steps to Becoming a Certified Foundation Training Instructor
Upon completion of the 3-day training course you will leave as a Foundation Training “Student Instructor”, authorized by Foundation Training to be qualified to teach. We know that it takes time and practice to become a proficient instructor which is why we require that all of the following steps be complete prior to achieving “L1 Certified Instructor” status.
- Sign our Foundation Training Instructor Agreement
- Attend the 3-day training course
- Accrue 50 Student Teaching Hours
- Complete a Written Assessment
- Submit a Practical Video Assessment
Benefits of the Certification Program
- Tools & Resources – Upon completing the certification program you’ll gain access to our private Instructor Support portal where you’ll have access to customizable marketing materials, client handouts, educational information and business building tools.
- Community – Join our private Facebook Instructor community where you can connect with our team and Foundation Training instructors around the world to share ideas and best practices.
- Exposure – Become listed on the ‘Find a Trainer’ page of the Foundation Training website which has thousands of visitors each month.
- Educational Support – Receive ongoing educational content via newsletter and webinar as well as access to virtual training with our team of Core Educators.
What makes this course different?
- Super interactive with plenty of practical application.
- No additional paid training hours or materials required. Your enrollment fee is the only required expense to become Certified.
- Personalized support with a Core Educator during small group breakouts.
Yes! I Want to Attend a Foundation Training Level 1 Certification
Day 1 Curriculum Overview
- Introduction and Decompression Workout – We will begin by introducing the team, course, and the students followed by feeling the benefits of each of our 4 Decompression exercises in a warm-up workout.
- Introduction to Foundation Training – Including the process Dr. Eric Goodman used to discover and refine the methodology, defining the physical problems that result from our modern lifestyle, and an overview of how Foundation Training can help remedy these problems.
- Hand, Arm, and Foot positions – Learn the different extremity variations we use throughout the course.
- Anatomy of Breathing – We will discuss the anatomical reasoning behind the creation of Foundation Training’s Decompression Breathing.
- Decompression Exercises – Learn and practice the Standing, Lunge, Supine, and Prone Decompression exercises.
- Small Group Session – Break out into groups with one of our Core Educators to practice teaching the Decompression exercises.
- Hinging Movements, part 1 –Learn and practice the Founder, Forward Fold, Kneeling Founder, and Woodpecker exercises.
- Small Group Session – Break out into groups with one of our Core Educators to practice teaching the Hinging exercises.
Day 2 Curriculum Overview
- Morning Workout – Open with a morning workout which focuses on the first day’s work.
- Advanced Arm Layers – Learn and practice Shoulder Tracing and our other advanced arm layers.
- Anatomy of Anchoring – Discuss what Anchoring means and the anatomy and physiology behind why it’s important and how it is properly executed and supported.
- Groundwork – Learn and practice the Internal Leg Trace, Anchored Bridge, Anchored Back Extension, and 8 Point Plank exercises.
- Small Group Session – Break out into groups with one of our Core Educators to practice teaching the Groundwork exercises.
- Hinging Movements, part 2 – Learn and practice the Founder Integrated Hinges, Squat, Woodpecker Integrated Hinges, and Woodpecker Rotation exercises.
- Small Group Session – Break out into groups with one of our Core Educators to practice teaching the Hinging exercises.
- Tension/Stability Lecture – Discussion on proper tensioning and addressing common instability patterns seen.
Day 3 Curriculum Overview
- Morning Workout – We will open Day 3 with a morning workout that combines all Level 1 Foundation Training exercises with each exercise being taught by a student.
- Small Group Session – Break out into groups with one of our Core Educators to review all of the exercises and cover any questions about what has been taught in the previous days.
- Exercise Review – We will spend time reviewing all the exercises learned so far in large group setting.
- Small Group Practice Teaching – You will again have the opportunity to work with a Core Educator to practice teaching in small groups.
- How To Correct Common Mistakes – Learn how to identify and correct common mistakes in each of the exercises in a fun, interactive game.
- Scope of Practice Lecture – Dr. Goodman will cover what should be discussed when working with someone based on your credentials and when to refer out to a licensed practitioner.
- Receive Foundation Training Certificates – Receive your course completion certificate and snaps some photos with your new FT family.
- Final Questions and Closing Thoughts – Get any remaining questions you might have answered by our team so that you leave with everything you need to get started!
Is Foundation Training Certification Right For Me?
Wondering if the Foundation Training Certification is right for you? If you are:
A Practitioner – such as a Chiropractor, Physical Therapist and other healthcare practitioners looking to give patients the tools they need to improve the way they move and feel, and stand out from your competitors, increase demand from clients/patients and grow your revenue, this is for you.
Trainer and Therapist – a Personal Trainer, Pilates Instructor, Fitness Instructor, Yoga Instructor, Martial Arts Instructor, Massage Therapist or Bodyworker and you’re looking to find ways to help people get more from their work with you, and stand out from your competitors, increase demand from clients/patients and grow your revenue, this is for you. You’ll learn to teach clients to re-establish their body’s natural movement patterns so they can do whatever they enjoy doing, better.
Everyone Else – individuals who’ve discovered significant personal benefits from Foundation Training through using the books, DVD, Foundation Training Connect, attending a workshop or working with a Certified Instructor. You may want to expand your personal knowledge of Foundation Training, hope to start a new business opportunity teaching Foundation Training or you may want to possibly share it with others, this course is for you.
If you’re serious about helping yourself and others, you will love the lessons you learn in this 3-day intensive process.
Apply and Discover Upcoming Level 1 Certification Details
Frequently Asked Questions
I’ve been in pain so long… will this really help me?
We recommend you check with your doctor prior to undertaking this or any physical program to ensure you’re not going to injure yourself.The key of Foundation Training are the fundamental movements that are designed to retrain how you move, sit and stand so you start using your muscles as they were designed to work.
We have easy modifications for people who are just starting out or have limited mobility, as well as workouts that would challenge top level athletes while helping them to recover their elite performance (and everything in between). Foundation Training trains basic movement skills that guide your body to a more pain-free life, whether you’re 17 or 87.
I’ve tried so many things already – doctors, special equipment, workout plans, pain medicine and more – how do I know Foundation Training will actually work?
Nothing is 100% guaranteed – yet we’ve seen tremendous results for thousands of happy clients who have been in similar situations.We urge you to work in conjunction with your practitioner or find a Foundation Training certified practitioner and take it slowly. Retraining your body with the proper movement patterns will take some practice. Dedicate a few minutes 2 – 3 times a day to start your practice and progress from there. .
I haven’t worked out in years… do I need to lose weight and/or get in shape before trying?
The short answer here is absolutely not! In fact, Foundation Training is where you should start.
The reason we call it Foundation Training is because it’s what you need to be in shape and build a healthy body. In fact, beginning a fitness program without the foundation of proper movement will contribute to injuries, degeneration and/or pain.
As always, you should check with your doctor/practitioner prior to beginning any program if you have any question about your readiness, but once you receive the OK, you are fine just as you are.
I have another exercise program already (Yoga, Crossfit, Biking, Running, etc…). Can this work with what I’m already doing?
100% yes. We often have clients who are very active – running, walking, weight lifting, surfing, biking and more — and they want to know if they should do Foundation Training before or after they exercise.We recommend doing Foundation Training before AND after your other workouts.
Foundation Training is a phenomenal way to warm up and activate your muscles prior to exercise. Many of our clients have found their workouts are stronger and more gratifying after using Foundation Training as a warm-up.
You’ll also see benefits AFTER your workout. As opposed to passive stretching, Foundation Training takes your muscles to length under tension creating a strong support structure to carry you past your workout and through the rest of your day.
Is there any special equipment that I need to buy to get Foundation Training to work?
The beauty of Foundation Training is that it uses the power of your own body. You don’t need any special equipment to practice, which means unlike other all the other programs and memberships out there, this is the ONLY thing you’ll need to buy.We recommend comfortable clothes that allow you to move freely. You can do Foundation Training with or without shoes (many people prefer without) and some people prefer to use a towel or stability mat (like a yoga mat).
The important thing is that you feel comfortable and able to move easily.
Why should I buy Foundation Training programs when there are so many free resources already available?
We do have a number of free videos so that you get a taste of our teaching style and what Foundation Training is all about. However, the videos are simply a sample, they’re a peek into the Foundation Training world – not a step-by-step comprehensive program.
All of our programs go much, much deeper into teaching the specifics of each movement in a step-by-step fashion as you learn and practice each new skill. Some of our free content is aimed at people who already have an understanding of our movements, and is not a good place to start.
With our step-by-step approach in our paid programs, you are able to start at the beginning and progress at your own pace. We highly recommend beginning with Foundation Training Connect and/or attending a live in-person workshop to get the most out of learning Foundation Training.
Is there a difference between the DVDs, Foundation Training Streaming and the in-person workshops?
Yes and no – all the core Foundation Training movements are the same. However, level of instruction, the style in which they’re taught and the ability to personalize the program to your specific situation will vary depending on which program you select.The DVD set includes our fundamental Foundation Training movements, taught in a step-by-step progression. These are still highly valuable and continue to help clients begin their own Foundation Training practice.
Foundation Training Streaming includes all the content from the DVDs PLUS updated workouts, resources and more. This is the platform where we are able to bring the latest and greatest advancements in Foundation Training to you wherever you are, and include new resources, teaching styles and workouts. The content is available 24/7 on any connected device (phone, tablet, computer, internet-enabled TV).
In-Person Workshops cover the same fundamental Foundation Training movements AND you have the added bonus of having a Core Educator correcting your form in real time, demonstrating and personalizing all the movements and answering all your specific questions.
What are my payment options?
Can I pay by check?
Can I order by phone?
Who do I contact with my other questions?