Mona Melms Education Scholarship
— The 2022 application submission window is closed. The details of the next round of applications will be announced in September 2023. —
Mona Melms was a gifted and enthusiastic instructor who was the first to bring Foundation Training to the Madison, Wisconsin area.
In 2012, Mona attended the (first ever) Foundation Training instructor certification. She immediately began teaching FT to her community. Her enthusiasm for the Foundation Training Method was contagious. “Mona was an anatomy nerd and talked about Foundation Training to anyone and everyone.” When she opened a second studio to accommodate the expanding classes, her community of FT instructors grew from the seeds she planted.
Mona was more than an instructor – she had a gift for identifying others who had teaching potential. She took them underwing and encouraged, nurtured, and supported them wholeheartedly. This included three individuals who then became certified in FT. Understanding that community is composed of friends who support the best for each other, she never saw other FT instructors as competition. Rather, she collaborated and provided opportunities for them to grow as teachers in her own studio. She loved her clients, and they loved her, maintaining many long-term friendships with them. Mona was an amazing connector of people.
For three decades Mona fought the good fight against cancer. As her health deteriorated, she did everything she could to ensure that her brood of FT instructors and clients would continue forward together. In the last stages of her fight with cancer, she remained a model of dignity and love. Her passing in 2021 left an enduring legacy of generosity and determination that continues to inspire and grow within the FT community.
- The scholarship will honor Mona by providing an individual the opportunity to attend a L1 certification who exemplifies her passion for Foundation Training, commitment to community, and love of teaching.
- It will cover the cost of tuition for the January 2023 San Diego Level 1 certification.
- The winner will be selected from applications submitted between 10/15/22 and 11/15/22.
- The scholarship will be offered each year.
1. Read through and type out all of your answers to the questions listed below.
2. Save your answers in a word document named “[Your name] Scholarship Application”
3. Attach the document to an email with the subject line “MM Scholarship Application” to [email protected] by November 15, 2022.
Scholarship Essay Questions
1. Personal information
c. Home location
2. Eligibility (write yes or no)
a. Have you read through the certification page at www.foundationtraining.com/certification?
b. If selected, are you able to attend the online education portion (weekly zoom sessions 12/01/22 to 01/21/23)?
c. Are you able to attend the in-person portion in San Diego on January 27-28, 2023?
3. Foundation Training Experience
a. How and when did you learn about FT?
b. What is your current practice of FT?
a. What role does teaching currently have in your life?
b. How will you use your FT certification?
a. What is the role community plays in your wellbeing?
b. How do you plan to integrate FT into your community?
a. How has cancer impacted your life?
b. In what ways will you integrate cancer support into your FT teaching?
a. Is there anything else that you would like us to know when considering your application?